Did you know that indoor air is typically 2-5 times more polluted 😷 than outdoor air? The average home contains 500-1,000 chemicals, many of which you are unable to see, smell or taste. Majority of these toxins, YOU bring into your home unintentionally.
6 ways to detox your home:
1. Leave dirt & harmful chemicals at the door 🙅
People who are sticklers about “no shoes in the house” might be onto something. Most pesticides and dirt particles are tracked into your home from your shoes. Do yourself a favor and put on slippers instead.
• Butopyronoxyl: Can cause mild necrosis in liver and kidney (in animals)
• Cimethyl phthalate: Can cause central nervous system depression if swallowed
• Diethyltoluamide (DEET): Can irritate sensitive skin and respiratory tract tissues as well as loss of coordination, anxiety, behavioral changes, and mental confusion
• Diquat, 2,4-D, and glyphosate: Can irritate the eyes and skin; can cause abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
2. Toss your standard cleaning products ⚠️
The more sparkling your home looks, the cleaner it will be. WRONG. Here are some of the chemicals emitted from mass produced and marketed “cleaning” products:
All-Purpose & Glass Cleaners:
• Ammonia: Fumes can irritate eyes and lungs; can cause burns or rashes on skin
Warning: Can produce deadly chloramine gas if mixed with chlorine containing products.*
• Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Acetate: Poisonous if swallowed; can cause severe damage to heart, kidneys, brain. Inhalation can cause dizziness
• Sodium Hypochlorite: Corrosive to skin and lining of nose mouth and throat; fumes irritating to eyes and respiratory tract
• Sodium hypochlorite solution: Corrosive to skin and lining of nose mouth and throat; fumes irritating to eyes and respiratory tract
TRY THESE INSTEAD:
3. Bye, Bye Air Fresheners 👋
Whether you want to cover up strong odors left behind from waste, or simply enjoy walking into a fresh smelling room after a hard day’s work, you might be doing it all wrong. Here’s what air fresheners spray around your home:
• Formaldehyde: A strong irritant to the eyes, throat, skin and lungs; thought to cause cancer
• Petroleum distillates: Can irritate skin, eyes, respiratory tract; may cause fatal pulmonary edema; flammable
• P-Dichlorobenzene: Fumes can be irritating to skin, eyes and throat
• Aerosol propellants: Fumes associated with brain damage or highly flammable
TRY THESE INSTEAD:
Click the images above for more ways to freshen your home naturally
4. ✋ Stay away from synthetic carpeting.
Carpeting is a popular flooring choice for a number of reasons, but what’s lingering beneath our toes? Carpeting often comes with adhesives, flame retardants and stain protectors that can all be harmful to our bodies. Here are some examples:
• Toluene, Benzene, Formaldehyde, Ethyl Benzene, Styrene, Acetone: Carcinogens that can cause hallucinations, nerve damage and respiratory illness
• Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers: Can cause damage to thyroid, immune system and brain development functions
• 4-PC: Associated with eye, nose and upper respiratory problems
TRY THESE INSTEAD:
Choose a carpet with the Green Label Plus Certification*.
*These carpets have passed independent laboratory tests for emissions from thirteen notorious chemicals.
5. Open doors & windows as much as possible.
There’s no better cure than letting it air out 💨. Though it may be difficult (or impossible) during certain times of the year, here are more alternatives to help ventilate your home:
• Use portable air purifiers
• Purchase green plants as natural air purifiers
6. Schedule consistent home check-ups.
Just like we should be proactive with our own health, why not apply that to our home as well? Our homes themselves can emit harmful toxins as they age, keep a watchful eye so things don’t go unnoticed. Here are some to look for:
• Mold & Mildew: can cause respiratory problems, common allergic reaction symptoms, nervous-system disorders and depression
Tip: Mold lives off of any organic matter and loves a warm, humid environment. Most often, mildew, which is a form of mold or fungus, infests our living or workspaces when there is a high level of moisture, like a musty basement or a shower wall.
• Carbon Monoxide: displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. Large amounts can overcome you in minutes without warning—causing you to lose consciousness and suffocate
Tip: Most commonly found in leaking gas stoves, gas fireplaces, furnaces and chimneys and gas water heaters.
• Radon: estimated to cause approximately 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year
Tip: You cannot see, smell or taste radon. It forms as uranium in rocks and soil breaks down
This information in this blog post contains opinions and general information for your enjoyment and is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as advice of any kind. This blog post is not a substitute for readers’ independent research and evaluation of the subject matter of the blog post.Platinum does not endorse or make any comment or recommendation on the safety, soundness or fitness for a particular purpose of any of the content, information, products, materials, or services available at or through any websites linked to this blog post. The links to other websites in this blog post are for your convenience only and Platinum does not approve, control, endorse, or sponsor, and Platinum is not in any way responsible for, and you agree and acknowledge that Platinum will not be liable or responsible to you or any other person for any claims or damages that might result from your use of content, information, products, materials, or services contained on the websites linked to this blog post.