When you’re living in a home that’s on the market, keeping it realtor-ready can be quite the task. You’re probably hoping for 24-48 hours notice, but homes on the market can be shown at a moment’s notice–ready or not. At times, it may seem as if keeping your home ready is harder than actually selling it; however, there are ways you can prepare yourself and the home for showings. Your goal is to keep your home on the market for as little time as possible. Sell, close, and find your next dream home.
Here are some tips to help:
What should I expect once my house in on the market?
- Once you sign a listing agreement, you can expect a 3 step process: getting the house ready, showing it off, and responding to the marketplace.
- Your agent will want to host open houses right away after listing, so make sure you are prepared for what’s to come–fast!
- Fluctuating traffic patterns of buyers will occur. The first few weeks will be the busiest with buyers that are interested in a home like yours. Do not worry when traffic suddenly dies down.
- Buyers will want to picture living in your home, so leaving main furniture pieces will help them visualize their life there. You need to be fully prepared to fit a time in your schedule to tidy up the place daily.
What can I do daily to keep my home ready for showings?
- Make beds first thing in the morning
- Lock any doors to rooms that are not used
- Close toilet lids
- Open drapes/blinds to let natural light in
- Turn off TVs
- Open any interior doors
- Take pets with you or plan a pet sitter
- Put away personal info, such as bills or statements
- Set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature
- Prepare a cleaning kit
What essential cleaning supplies should I keep in my kit?
- Rubber gloves
- A duster or dust cloth
- Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
- Disinfectant wipes
- Wood and stainless-steel polishing wipes
- Glass wipes
- Swiffer Wet jet
- Broom and dustpan
- Lint brush for any pet hair on upholstery or drapes
Completing these tasks on a daily basis can help you sell faster and help the process run smoother. It may seem like too many extra tasks to squeeze into your busy day, but the end results will be worth it. Click image above to download a printable version of these lists as a resource.